Posted on: 21 March 2016
If you've ever paid for a professional tree removal service, you may have noticed that there's an additional charge to have the stumped taken out. In fact, if this has happened to you recently, you may find yourself wondering now if you should leave the stump or have it removed. These answers to frequently asked questions can help you decide the best course of action.
Why should you bother to have your tree stump removed?
Tree stumps can be a problem for a variety of reasons, including:
- Aesthetics. Tree stumps mar the landscape of your yard.
- Space. Tree stumps take up valuable space on your property.
- Pests. Tree stumps can attract pests like carpenter ants and termites.
- Safety. Some tree stumps that are low to the ground can become a tripping hazard for people who don't know they are there.
- Suckers. Tree stumps will often produce suckers, which look like baby trees or shrubs. Suckers grow directly out of the stump, but will not grow into a healthy new tree. Suckers can be cut down but will often return many times, creating an ongoing maintenance issue for the property owner.
Can you remove a tree stump yourself?
You can remove a tree stump yourself. Many people who remove their own tree stump choose to soften the stump with a chemical called potassium nitrate. To do this, follow this procedure:
- Drill several deep holes around the perimeter and through the middle of the tree stump.
- Pour potassium nitrate into the holes.
- Fill the holes with water.
- Wait about a month, until the tree stump is spongy.
- Pour kerosene on the tree stump.
- Wait about a week.
- Light the tree stump on fire and allow it to smolder until it's gone.
This method will completely remove the tree stump without requiring the rental of a grinder, which is another common tool that people use to remove their tree stumps.
What are the advantages of having the tree stump professionally removed?
Chemical removal of the tree stump is a DIY solution not employed by professionals. Professionals will often do the removal more quickly and without a smoldering fire that burns for a long time. This is better for the environment and outdoor air quality. To find out more about how to get professional tree stump removal, contact a reputable tree removal company in your area. Once they've seen your tree stump, your tree removal company will be able to give you a quote for service. Visit sites like http://treesculptors.com for more information.Share